WIP compilation for my part of the RARE 2014 Anthro Calendar, where I got Halloween.
Pre-orders close this Sunday, if you're thinking about getting a copy but haven't yet. The first 50 orders get some freebies too (and there are some left still!), ordering info is here: www.anthrocalendar.com/orderin…
(and the other artist's work can be found on that site too!)
Download for a larger view!
1) Rough sketch concept- I'd done multiple other thumbnails of various concepts and iterations of this idea, but I unfortunately don't have those anymore. In this stage I'd contemplated him having "dethroned" the scarecrow of the pumpkin patch and claimed his hat as a spoil of war.
2) Decided against the scarecrow idea, finding it looked too much like a certain pokemon.... but liked the general location and idea, so adjusted the pose/composition a bit and added some rough light/darks.
3) Using some overlay, multiply and addition layers I draft out the colors.
4) Decided to flip the canvas (I flip it while working just to change the angle I view at as well, it helps to see mistakes- if something doesn't look right but you can't put your finger on it, try flipping the canvas, it makes it less familiar so mistakes are more obvious) and began some detail. I was fiddling with the anatomy and things, removing the hands, and making the wing/arms more wing like and less arm like. Didn't like it, not enough anthro (given this was for the "Anthro Calendar") and lacking personality. Felt really stiff too.
5) Hands are back! Also adjusted the overall pose, straightening the back tilting the head, adjusting the arms, and giving him a more sly expression to make him look more confident and imposing. Generally trying to give him some more character. Re-did some of the feathers, didn't like how uniform they looked.
6) More detailing.... fiddling with lighting a bit....
7) And then press the background button- Poof! Being a bit more serious, sorry I don't have any screenshots of working on this part.
8) Now that the basis is done, I go back and touch up bits here in there. I removed the branch at the top left since I found it distracting and wasn't adding anything, played with the colors/saturation, added a jack-o-lantern to make it more "Halloweeny" and explain some of the lighting at the bottom/ allow me to light things up a bit more down there, among various other alterations.
9) Even more adjustments! Gave him some spikey neck feathers to make him a little less generic and a bit more interesting, added a mouse to the tree, detailed a few more things, pushed the shadows a bit...you know trying to make it look a bit better, and eventually calling it done!
Don't normally do these, hopefully someone enjoyed looking at some of the WIP shots!
The final image can be seen here: